This is a lovely summer salad. It’s quick, tasteful and low in carbs. Perfect to prepare in our hostel kitchen. We give you the basic recipe, which is delicious already, but feel free to add your own favourite ingredients to this easy backpackers recipe. We often ’pimp’ this salad with avocado slices, roasted almonds, fennel and grapefruit, for example.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2 people)
200 gr. chicken breast (preferable organic), cut into little slices
250 gr. cherry tomatoes
1 tsp mustard1 tbsp honey
2 hands full of salad leaves of your choice (we like watercress or lamb’s lettuce)
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to season
1. Start with your chicken marinade. Mix the juice of 2 oranges, honey, mustard, olive oil, pepper and salt. Mix this with the chicken slices and let rest in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
2. In the meanwhile you cut off the outer skin of the other 2 oranges with a knife. You now section between the skins (do this above a bowl in order to collect all the juices) to obtain all ‘skinless’ parts of the orange. Squeeze out the rest of the orange as well.
3. Cut the tomatoes in halves and add them to the orange (juice).
4. Now you start frying the chicken together with its juices in a pan and bake until caramelized.
5. You now add the pieces of chicken + juice to the oranges and tomatoes. Mix well and add the salad leaves. Season with pepper and salt and you’re salad is ready to eat!
Craving for more recipes? To celebrate our brand new kitchen here at the Amstel House Hostel Berlin we are sending at least one easy backpacker recipe a week into cyberspace. We’re aiming for at least 25 easy backpacker recipes in total. Check all recipes so far here.