The Italians also call this pappa al pomodoro dish ‘ a poor man’s meal’, but is very rich in flavour! It’s gentle for your budget though and super easy and can be prepared in only 15 minutes. Nonetheless, in the Italian kitchen the ruling thought is ’cuocere al fuoco lento’, which translates: the longer you let the sauce shimmer, the better the taste.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
1 Can diced tomatoes (400g)
250 gr. Cherry tomatoes
2 Big slices of stale bread
1/2 Cup of olive oil (extra vergine) + 2 Tbsp olive oil to serve
2 Garlic cloves
1 Handfull fresh basil
- Heat the oil and when the oil starts to get fragrant, add the garlic cloves.
- Add the cherry tomatoes when the garlic colours.
- After 5 to 10 minutes, when the tomatoes start to burst, add the diced tomatoes and half of the fresh basil leaves.
- Let this simmer as long as possible. Break the stale bread slices and add it to the soup, at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Season with pepper and salt and add the olive oil and the remaining basil leaves and serve immediately.